Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Code Used In The Application "Terminal"

After logging into Mac-Forum today and re-reading the instructions I've been given I opened the Utilities folder and opened up the application Terminal. Not knowing anything about it I closed it right away. After which I started searching for Web sites to help me understand the application Terminal. I'm feeling more comfortable trying to use Terminal to delete thousands of empty picture files in a folder called  "Desktop" which is in my "Finder".  I still need to find the answer to one question I have.

What does the    rf   stand for in the following code?   rm -rf *.*   ?   I think it means reference. 
I believe the *.* is sort of a wild card and can mean any file name. 

Need to ask this question on the Mac-Forum.

There are 1,894 items in this folder to delete. It's not a matter of dragging them to the trash and hit empty trash.  I wish it were that simple. A warning box opens up for each file saying:

"Some of the items you are moving are in use by another application. Moving the items can cause problems with the application using them. Are you sure you want to move these items? "
Directly below this statement are three buttons to push:    "SKIP"      "STOP"      "CONTINUE"

I have to click on "CONTINUE"  button for each file I want deleted. I don't want to click the "CONTINUE"  button for each of the 1,894 files.  

I just want to be sure my Hard Drive is not in that folder. It shows it's icon on the desktop but it's not inside the "Destop Folder" shown in the "Finder".  


No comments:

Post a Comment